Saturday, February 25, 2006

Garden time

Yes boys and girls, it's that time. Time to get out your hoe, shovel, garden rake and such, and get into the garden. Okay, it's really only that time if you want to plant early spring crops like spinach, peas, and lettuce.

My son helped me plant today. That is always fun getting out in the garden and working with my kids (not that my oldest would ever do that). The look on this face was funny when I was amending the soil with a little manure, and he asked what it was. It was a look of total repulsiveness... At first, then he asked what it felt like. I told him well, get some and find out, he was all over it!

As I was pulling the hay back from on top of the garden as I was starting this afternoon, I had some weeds. No shocker, they are already up in the yard else where, but these looked a little different. Once I cut them with the hoe and threw them out of my way, I knew what they were... Cilantro. My wife loves the stuff. These were from last years plants that went to seed. I had several of them. I left a could where they were at, and moved two into pots. We'll have to see how they do.

Well, the garden is on the way.
70 days till my son can have some home grown peas that he loves so much.
45 to 50 days for my spinach and 45 days for my lettuce.

I would have taken pictures, but we all know what dirt looks like.

No comments: