Thursday, March 02, 2006

South Dakota H.B. 1215

I know you get those emails forwarded to you by people that talk about this Bill or that Bill that is being considered, discussed, or whatever, and it's important you call your representative yadda, yadda, yadda.

Today, I got one of those emails. Though, it was a bit different than most. This one was not a forward of a forward of a forward... You get the point. This was sent to the person that sent it to me. It was sent from the American Family Association (afa.net)

That caught my eye. An excerpt of that email was
A bill that would ban nearly all abortions in South Dakota and spark a challenge to the U.S. Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision is heading to Governor Mike Rounds for his signature.
It goes on to encourage you to go to this web site and sign a petition to encourage Governor Rounds to sign this bill.

Wow, that email sounded encouraging! If it was true, and stuff you get in emails can be worse than newspapers about accuracy.

So, I decided I wanted to know about bit more about it, and hit Google, and did some searching. Come to find out it is true. I found Law Librarian Blog and other information about this Bill. It has links to the full text of HB 1215. It also has links to the text of the US Supreme Courts Opinion in Roe v. Wade.

I found this bill very encouraging. I hope Governor Rounds signs this bill, and other States take note and follow its example. I also pray that this bill will hold up in the Supreme Court, which I'm sure it will find its way.

No comments: