Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Death for a convert?

Have you heard this story coming out of Afghanistan. And this is not a story from when Afghanistan was lead by the Taliban, this is out of current day. Today.

Abdul Rahman, a 41 year old father of two, is awaiting trail for rejecting Islam.

He had approached police on an unrelated matter, but told them he had converted from Islam, and was carrying a Bible. They arrested him. Afghan law is based on the Islamic law. And in that law, conversion can mean death.

Here is a quote from this CNN article:
"They want to sentence me to death, and I accept it," Rahman told reporters last week, "but I am not a deserter and not an infidel."
That is what having faith in the One True God is all about!

There is more to the story than this as you can imagine. There are the political twists that are involved. Take the time to read the whole article, but what strikes me personally is that here is a man that is truly willing to die for Jesus Christ! Some may think that this is no different than what the homicide bombers do, but I disagree. See, these men blow themselves up to kill "infidels" to earn their way into heaven. Rahman has already done everything he needs to do to get into heaven. He's accepted Jesus Christ as his personal Savior which means he's given his life to Him, and letting Him lead him.

As Paul said in Philippians 1:21
For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
If Rahman dies, he gets to see his God. If he lives, he gets to keep living for Christ.

I know that I for one will pray for Rahman and his family as they goes through this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

See, I do know there is a God. I've seen proof of Him; I've seen things that cannot be explained in any other way. I find it impossible that by "accident" we all exist.

Do people need to suffer for tests? No, but we tend to learn better when we do. We tend to pay more attention to what's going on when things just aren't peachy keen. Plus, it lets us appreciate what we have even more.

Difference between my faith and the "radical Islamic" is my faith doesn't hurt anyone. Don't like what I believe or have to say, that's cool. I've done my part.

As far as being scared or repulsed by others with faith in other "powers", I'm not. That doesn't mean others may not be, but I have no problem with that. If someone wants to believe that their grandparent is a fly, or that space aliens are coming to take them away, that’s fine. I usually find them as nuts as you see me, but that fact that they believe that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to show them the light.

But again, if they choose not to listen, that's fine. I've done my part.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1