Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Space Walk

Wednesday morning, 2 astronauts will be headed back into space for a third space walk.

I have always found the space walks very interesting. This one, however, brings on a new aspect. One of the Astronauts will be doing some repair work on the shuttle. For years, astronauts have repaired the space station, but it does not go back to earth, it just stays in orbit. This will be the first time a return vehicle has been repaired in space.

To me, this is very cool. I will admit, this should not be a serious repair. In all likelihood, the shuttle could have returned without this repair. But as Wayne Hale, NASA's deputy shuttle program manager, said at a news conference. "If we can't prove that it's safe, then we don't want to go there."

Very good point.

NASA has received some serious bad press. But they won't get any from me, (except I'm not in space). They do a very hard job. Testing senarios are very difficult, neigh impossible. Car makers, make cars, then crash them to see how they will do. Can't do that here.

Anyway, there are lots of places you can watch the space walk if you are interested.
There is a NASA TV channel that some satellite and cable systems carry. Also, you can go to NASA's NASA TV page and watch in either Windows media player, or in Realplayer.

I will note, the RealPlayer looks like a better picture to me.

No comments: