Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Prayer

How much time in prayer do you spend each day?

Seriously, stop and think about that. 5 or 10 minutes maybe?

How much time does your church devote to prayer?

I've been reading through Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by Jim Cymbala again (good book BTW), and I found a quote in there that really struck a cord with me.
You can tell how popular a church is by who comes on Sunday morning.
You can tell how popular the pastor or evangelist is by who comes on Sunday night.
But you can tell how popular Jesus is by who comes to the prayer meeting.
That is so very true.

But the same can be said about our own lives. We can tell how popular Jesus is in our lives by how much time we spend in prayer and Bible Study, but especially prayer.

I've seen in my own life where I've spent more time in the Word than in prayer, and though I know I learned a lot, I didn't have that closeness that I've had when I've spent considerable time in prayer.

I know that I'm currently guilty of not spending the time I should in prayer. Why? Because I'm lazy. I've let other, less important things come between me and my relationship with my Lord.

How about you? You going to do anything about it?

No comments: