Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Booster Seats

On my drive into work I pass a billboard that says 4'9" is the magic number. Below that they need a booster seat.

I had brought that up over Christmas with the family, and there was much discussion. Well, today, I finally remembered to take a look at the sign closer, and found a web page.
www.boosterseat.gov
On this page, there is a calculator that helps parents on picking the type of booster/car seat their child needs.

I was right about the 4' 9" height limit, but what the sign didn't say, but the web page did, was there is also an age limit of 8.

I put in my son's information on the calculator (the best I could remember) and this was what it told me.
Children who are over 40 pounds should use booster seats until they are at least eight years old or 4-feet 9-inches tall. Install it in the back seat of your car. Booster seats position a child so the safety belt, which is designed for adults, fits properly and prevents injury.

Recommendations are from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

And for the record, my son does use a booster seat. To him, it's absolutely normal.

No comments: