Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Daughters

I was quite amused when reading a post from Bowden McElroy's Counseling Notes Blog. More specifically his post on Fathers & Daughters. He had written this post in response to a question my friend Steven had.

I laughed out loud when I read his post. I think in part because I understood exactly what he was talking about. There have been days in the not so recent past that I haven't wanted to go home. I would have rathered gone to the dentist, or than gone home.

Girls just handle things so much differently than boys do. Everything is a crisis on galactic proportions. Now, I really don't know if this is true for all girls, but for my daughter it is! Then there are the mood swings. One minute, you would think she wants me dead, (and maybe she does). The next, she is bawling. Ten minutes later, she may be all lovey.

I don't know how many times I would count until she graduates. Course I know I wont stop caring or worrying then. It may be worse, but I wont have to deal with all the drama on a daily basis. And everytime I start feeling that way, I get frustrated that I feel that way.

Now, I do not want anyone to think I do not love my daughter. I love my daughter. I want what is best for her. I want to spend time and have fun spending time with he I would do anything for her, but in the whirlwind that is my daughter, it can be a little daunting.

Luckily, things have been going pretty well lately. I've had some women I work with tell me that I will see a huge change in her somewhere in between 16 and 18. And I'll like to be around her again.

Hopefully, that is happening now.

No comments: