Saturday, May 07, 2005

Bye Rugrats

Well, my boys soccer season is over. As is my first coaching experience. I'm excited that soccer is over for the season, but also sad. I love soccer. It is a wonderful sport, and great for little kids. It isn't like baseball where you can go out into the field and play an inning without the ball ever coming to you. In soccer, if you are on the field, you are in the game.

I think the part I liked the least was practices. I just had a hard time coming up with ideas to keep the kids interested and learn the game at the same time. By the end of the day, most of them were tired, they had had long days as school and were tired. So there were some practices that over half the kids were crying.
Most of the games weren't too bad. I did get frustrated a few times watching them play like it was their first game, and knowing they could play much better.

I had to go up to the field early to pick up our soccer pictures. They were great. As the parents showed up, I was able to hand them out. They all thought they were wonderful! I also was able to pick up their trophies. More on that in a moment.

The game was not great, but they had fun. After the game, I pulled all the kids together, and told them how much fun I had coaching them, and what a good job they did this year. And then I was able to hand out their trophies. You should have seen the looks on all of their faces. It was priceless.

I was also given a thank you card from one of the kids. Her mom wrote a very nice note in it. And the girl wrote her name in it herself. That's a big thing right now since they are just learning how to do that. One of the other parents gave me a picture of her boy. Both of these things were really sweet.

I'm going to try to schedule a party for them soon to end the season. 2 of the kids should move up to the next age bracket next year, but the other 4 will stay down, if they play again.


Team picture Posted by Hello


My boys pose Posted by Hello

No comments: