Thursday, June 16, 2005

Stories from the Trip, pt 4

Well, our stay in Maryland was at an end. Time to start our drive home.

didn't really know where we were going except, southwest.

We loaded up the van, and headed south.

As we entered Virginia, we decided we would go through the Shanadoa mountains. From there we headed south, and stopped at the Natural Bridge. It was nice, but it was too expensive for us all to go in. We drove on down, and stopped in Bristol TN. We were only about 2 blocks into TN. We got checked in and we headed to the pool, well, my boy, my wife and I did. It was cold. Too cold. My boy enjoyed it, I only got in to my knees.

We got up in the morning, and started off again. We decided to go see the Smokies. First of all, traffic was horrible through Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg. Somewhere through there we stopped for lunch. At that point, my daughter took the co-pilot seat. She started helping navigate, and she got to learn how to read a map. As we were headed through Gatlinburg, we found Cooters. The General Lee, the jeep, tow truck, and sheriff car from the Dukes of Hazzard were there. My girl and I turned around and went back. We had a lot of fun looking at all the stuff. They even had Clietus from the show there signing autographs. We both had a lot of fun. Through the mountains, we stopped at about every other turn off to take pictures. Everyone else in the car was ready to stop, but we had so much fun.

From there, my girl navigated us to Chattanooga. We stopped there for dinner. After dinner, there was a traffic jam on the highway, so we opted to head west, and see where that took us. Finally got back to the highway, and we had passed the traffic problem. And off to Nashville we go.

We started looking for a place to stop for the night before we got to Nashville, billboard prices were pretty cheap. But there was some sort of music festival. So, all the hotel rates were raised. We kept going trying to find a cheaper rate, but never really did. Stopped around 12:30 for the night. They only had 2 rooms, 1 non smoking, and 1 smoking. So, we took them. Our toilet barely flushed, which I guess was good, cause the next morning, we noticed a toilet outside between a couple of the rooms.

It is now Saturday. Last day of our vacation. We get up and around and hit the road. My mother-in-law wanted to stop at Cracker Barrel to eat. So we stop. Now, my daughter had asked for McDonald's, and that would have been fine for me, but this was ok, even if it was a bit more expensive than I really wanted to spend. We go in, about a 30 minutes wait. Ok, we wait.
Finally get seated, I'm trying to help my boy with his order, couldn't find the kids menu, finally did when my wife pointed it out. My boy knew what he wanted, so, now time to look for me. And she comes to take our orders. Well, I haven't even really looked at the menu. My in-laws ordered, and she was suppose to come back in just a couple minutes for our order. Well, along time later, she returned for our order. And then an eternity passed before we got our food!

Breakfast took us 2 hours!!!

So, we hit the road again. And except for an adventure finding a Walmart in West Memphis, everything else went pretty smoothly. Got my in-laws home around 11:00 pm, and us a bit later than that.

Well, here are some picutres of the Smokies and some other miscellaneous stuff.

No comments: