Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Spyware, Viruses and XP SP2

Spend the last few hours cleaning spyware and viruses off of a friends machine. Once that was done, I upgraded all her software and installed Windows XP SP2 on her machine.

I am by no means a Microsoft proponent. They are too big for their briches, and that is being nice! They do not take time to test their apps before selling them to the public. If we did that where I work we would be fired!

However, occationally they do something pretty good, and in my opinion Service Pack 2 of Windows XP is it. Even though it is over a 200 MB download. Some of the features it provides are really nice. Now, for me to start thinking highly of Microsoft, it would have taken them to have included these things when they originally released XP, not months after the fact. Heaven forbid they put out good software to begin with.

Other software you may want to consider having on your computer if you use the net much and hate spyware and stuff as much as I do follows
AVG Free anti-virus software
Ad-aware SE Spyware removal tool
Spybot Another Spyware removal tool

I would also suggest running both spybot and Adaware. One seems to get stuff the other does not. These 3 things plus windows XP sp2 if you have XP will do a decent job of keeping your machine in running order.

No comments: