Monday, April 25, 2005

Blood giving

I almost went 2 days in a row without a post. I don't feel very good, but that just wouldn't do.

I left work a bit early today to go give blood. This is only the 3rd time I've done it, but I feel lowsy.

Now, don't get me wrong. Giving blood saves lives, I know that. There is also some research that shows it can be good for you too. However, each of the times I've given blood, I have not done well. I bleed pretty quick, so it doesn't take long, but I feel horrible.

The first time, I wrote it off as that. Since it was my first time, I didn't expect for it to go well.
The second time, I have a busy day at work, and didn't eat hardly anything. Ok, probably my fault since I didn't eat.
But this time, I ate lunch, even had a snack about an hour before I gave blood, and I drank lots of fluids. So no excuse this time.

I had just about decided not to give blood again, but I talked to a friend of mine today who's step father has recently had quadruple bi-pass surgery. After surgy was over, he started losing blood... more than he should. In fact, 4 pints. Now, if memory serves me correctly, a person only has 5 pints. So, someone who has given blood recently helped save his life.

Hopefully, I'll feel better in the morning.

No comments: