Friday, July 29, 2005

Banks!

I got the mail today, and in it was my bank statement. Ok, I'll balance the check book real quick.
Went through, no biggy. But what's this $6 charge? billpay enabled fees?

Ok, let me call the bank and find out... And am I glad I did.

We opened a new bank account about 4 months ago. They had bill pay, I'd liked Yahoo Bill Pay, let me check this one out.

After much looking, I couldn't find any fees, so I'll sign up for it.

Well, what I found out today, it was free for 3 months, and then a $6 fee per month after that.
$6?!?!?!?!

I did the math, it was $.85 a bill. Um, no, stamps are cheaper, plus I can use yahoo for free (well, for 5 bills. ISP is SBC Yahoo DSL).
So, needless to say, I've cancelled the online bill pay. I think I did real well, I did not get mad at the girl helping me. It was not her fault. I did let her know that I was not mad at her, but I was very mad that this wasn't disclosed before hand. She informed me, very politely, that it was in the terms and conditions that I had to accept to use online bill pay. Ok, I'll admit it, I didn't read them. Never do. If you don't agree, you can't do it, and if you want it, you don't have any choice. I was very irritated though that that was the only place that information could be found. Yahoo told me how much their bill pay fees are before even signing up. My last bank let me know how much the fees were before signing up. But not this one.

When I called to cancel, I informed her that I had a bill in process. (I couldn't cancel it). So I didn't know if I had to wait till Monday to cancel or not. She said she would check and let me know. The nice girl at the bank called me back later. She is going to wait till Tuesday to cancel to make sure that the bill goes through with no problem, then she will cancel it. I will not be charged for this next month. She also informed me that she was able to refund my original $6 for this month.

So, all in all, it turned out pretty well. Just spent about an hour re-setting up Yahoo Bill Pay, and the time I spent on the phone with the bank.

Could have been worse.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh, I plan on checking it.