Wednesday, August 16, 2006

BMI - Body Mass Index

Ok, so while reading another blog today, I ran across this link for a BMI calculator for Adults at the Department of Heath and Human Services Centers for Disease Control. For those that might be interested, here is the BMI calculator for Children and Teens. As I am trying to lose some weight I thought it would be good to see what this says.

Well, It seems that my height of 6' 0" and my current weight, I am considered Overweight (not a big surprise hince the trying to lose weight).

What did surprise me was how much I have to weigh to not be classified as overweight. The magic number? 183.5 pounds would give me a BMI of 24.9. If I weighed 183.5 pounds, I think I would look skinny.

The table at the CDC page has 4 categories.







BMIWeight Status
Below 18.5Underweight
18.5-24.9Normal
25.0-29.9Overweight
30.0+Obese



No comments: