Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Eggs!

We've had our girls for 15 days.  So far, so good.  We've not had any problems to speak of yet (not that I would expect in just 15 days, but you never know).  The only predator problem we've had was that first day when I was working on the gate to the chicken yard, and our Boston Terrier got into the yard.  Luckily, the girls can run fast, and I was able to catch him fast!

One of the main reasons we wanted to get chickens were for their eggs.  I mean, who doesn't want a fresher, tastier, healthier egg?

The first day we brought our girls home, we had an egg!



And we had fresh eggs every day since!  We've had between 1 and 5 eggs every day.  It wasn't long before we had a bowl full of eggs!



Last Wednesday, I started a log to keep track of our egg production.  Since that time, we've had 25 eggs in 8 days.  So, we've averaged a little over 3 eggs a day!  One of those was a double yoked egg!

We've switched to storing them in an egg carton, and I we make sure we rotate our stock eating the oldest eggs first.  It's really working out pretty well.

We've really enjoyed the chickens.  Now, if they'll just grow back their feathers, I could take so much better pictures of them!



No comments: