Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Snake in the leaves






It was a nice sunny Sunday afternoon. So I grabbed my camera, and decided to take a walk out long the fence line out back and see what I might see. While walking to the back of the yard where the trees, rocks and tall grass is located, I saw something orange out of the corner of my eye. I was shocked to see this snake. Seeing snakes isn't unusual. That's one of the nice things I like about living in the country. I get to see all sorts of different wildlife. What caught my attention was the color. I'd never seen a snake like this in the wild before. So, I kept my distance and took several pictures of it.

Later, when I got in and got the pictures off the camera I was able to zoom in and get a better look at the snake. And after doing some research, I'm pretty sure it's a scarlet king snake. Non-poisonous, but very cool.

Getting back to the picture, the top picture is the original. I was leaning over the fence and zoomed in as far as possible. I might could have been able to get closer, but until I knew exactly what kind of snake it was, I wanted to keep my distance. I'm all for good pictures, but another trip to the emergency room is not what I had in mind. So, I went ahead and cropped the photo to get a much better look at the snake.

No comments: