Friday, May 12, 2006

Birds - Cardinals

A few days ago, my wife noticed a new birds nest (and more eggs) in another bush.

At first, we thought it was the same type of bird that we had seen before, but she later found out it was a cardinal nest this time.

I went to the Wildlife Departments web page to find out more about Cardinals, and I found some very interesting things.

One of the most interesting thing I found out was that they are Nonmigratory (which I knew) and territorial (which I didn't). They also may spend its entire life within a half-mile of its birthplace.

So for these 4 eggs may very well spend the rest of their lives around my house. That's sorta neat to think about.

Well for me anyway.

Oh, and the other day, I was outside on the swing just relaxing, and I heard this really short chirp. I didn't recognize it, so I was searching for the bird. I finally found it. It was the mommy cardinal. While I was on the web page I also found out that
Their call is normally a very short and sharp chink, but may vary from a what-cheer, cheer, cheer to a sweet, sweet, sweet.
(I thought the words to their chirp was funny till I said them out loud and realized just how right they were. hehe)

No comments: