Friday, October 31, 2008

Dirty Keyboards?

On Wednesday, Shannon at Rocks In My Dryer had commented on some of the strange stuff she puts in her dishwasher to clean and sanitize and invited people to add comments on other non-dish stuff they put in theirs. So I added mine. My keyboard!

Well, on this post she actually linked to my blog about it, so I figured I'd try to write up something for those that may have questions. (though she called me a she when I'm really a he, but granted Terry and be either and she has mostly female readers, I'll let her slide hehe)

First of all, this isn't something I do all the time, but after a while, your keyboard can get all nasty. or worse, stuff spills on it.

So, I put it in the top rack of the dishwasher, keys down. I don't use soap, the hot water and water pressure is usually good enough to do a decent job. I also do not have the heated drying cycle on.

When it's done, I take the keyboard out, and take it apart. Just unscrew the few screws on the back and take the back off so it can dry REALLY WELL.

The 2 most important things to this is to NOT use the headed drying cycle, and to let it dry completely before plugging it back in.

(And DO NOT use a hair dryer on your keyboard to help dry it. My daughter did this once after spilling a large cup of sweetened tea on my keyboard. She didn't unplug it (so electricity was still running through it) and then used the hair dryer on high heat to dry it out. I tried the dishwasher, but it was too late. Needless to say, I had to buy a new keyboard.)

One of the ladies at my wife's work spilt Chinese food in the keyboard about a month ago and she called me up asking how to wash it. They washed it up, and it still works.

I've done this probably half a dozen times, if the keyboard was just dirty, it has worked every time for me. (see the story of the tea above)

So, still have questions? Ask away.

UPDATE: There are a few things I wanted to add. First, I've not heard of them, but if your keyboard has a battery in it, take it out. Second, I've not tried this on wireless keyboards, so I'd do more searching on the 'Net before trying it on that. Third, I've done this close to a dozen times and have never had a problem, but I guess there is always a chance there could be a problem. If it's completely dry before you put electricity to it then I would not expect you to have any problems.

8 comments:

Marlene McGarrity said...

I saw your idea over at Shannon's and I am so thankful to see your thoughtful post over here.

I am a middle school computer teacher and I have heard of people washing the keyboards in the dishwasher, but I wasn't sure how it was done. Thanks for the explanation - I will try it this weekend

Shannon said...

Thanks Terry! I made you a "he" now! ;)

TRS said...

I've heard of this for Mac keyboards... but is it safe for regular old keyboards? Are they the same?

Unknown said...

I've done this with the plain generic keyboards as well as my Microsoft Natural Keyboards that I use all the time.

Natalie said...

My mental block is the cord. I think I will try it soon. My kids have spilled something that made our D key sticky.

http://sheslaughing.com

Missy said...

How on earth did you think to even do this??

I still think it is bizarre. And I would wash my kids in the dishwasher if it would work, but this is just weird.

Anonymous said...

Great idea, but boy does it scare me! LOL

Unknown said...

Hi Terry,

I am working on a magazine article and would like to cite you as a source for cleaning a keyboard in the dishwasher. (I found you through Shannon Lowe, who I also interviewed for the story.) I'd love to e-mail you a couple of questions. Would you send your e-mail address to me at sarahstebbins@gmail.com? I will give you much more info about the piece and the magazine. Thanks so much.

Sarah