Thursday, February 02, 2006

Taxes Filed

I filed my taxes last night. Yea!

Back in August, I wrote about getting a letter from the IRS stating we owed them money from my 2003 returns. Well, the refund I'll be getting will pay for that mistake. So, I'll finally have them taken care of. *whew* I don't like it when the IRS takes notice of me. It was just a mistake, but when you hear of all the nightmares people have had, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

Anyway, back to the taxes. The problem that caused our mistake in 2003 was the source of some grief again tonight. Long story short, my wife cashed out an IRA, and we had to pay extra taxes on it. Well, again, I had problems with TaxSlayer doing that without extra thought on my part. On the page where I entered in the 1099-R there was a drop down box on the bottom of the page. I had to pick that to make sure my taxes were correct. What it did was copied the amount from one form to the correct line on another form. But I had to know which one to do. Plus, since my 1099-R did not have a value in line 2, I had to copy the value from line 1 to line 2. Anyway, I did my taxes in both TaxSlayer and TurboTax. Both returns had the same amount for a refund, so I feel comfortable.

TurboTax is still by far the easiest to use, however, to e-file both my State and Federal returns, it was going to cost $44.90 unless I could find a promotion code to drop that amount.

TaxSlayer was only $9.95 to e-file Federal, and State was free.

No comments: