Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Stardust

Some of you may, or may not, be aware of the NASA Stardust mission.

Here is the NASA Stardust Mission web page.
Here is the NASA's Comet Sample Return Mission web's.

In short the Stardust mission was to send a probe to deep space, capture particles of stardust and bring it back to earth for examination.

Anyway, to my point. I was reading this CNN article about a Stardust@Home project. Long story short is are summary's from the startdust@home page.

Goal: We are seeking volunteers to help us to search for these tiny samples of matter from the galaxy.

The Challenge: The job is roughly equivalent to searching for 45 ants in an entire football field, one 5cm by 5cm (2 inch by 2 inch) square at a time!

Participation: First, you will go through a web-based training session. This is not for everyone: you must pass a test to qualify to register to participate.

The web site goes on to say
Just remember that you are looking at the first collector that has gone into deep space and come back. This is a very special opportunity!
Professional Recognition: In recognition of the critical importance of the Stardust@home volunteers, the discoverer of an interstellar dust particle will appear as a co-author on any scientific paper by the Stardust@home collaboration announcing the discovery of the particle.

Anyway, that is a quick summary of what it is.

Needless to say, I've pre-registered. Now I can't wait to hear back and take my test.
I'm not I'm interested in finding where life came from. I already know that duh, life came from God. But a chance to look at material from deep space that God created would be wonderful!

You can learn more at the Stardust@home site.

I'll let you know if/when I hear something.

No comments: